History of the Historical Society & Museum
The Park City Museum is an important part of Park City and the historic landscape of Main Street. The Historical Society was incorporated in 1981 and began with a membership of 15 people. The story of the Museum began with two women: Tina Lewis and Patricia Smith. Tina, a City Council member, persuaded the city to fund a Centennial Exhibit (Park City was incorporated in 1884). Patricia, a local artist, was hired by the city to design and create the exhibit. Many people
In 1984, the Historical Society and Museum boards merged to make the Park City Museum a permanent facility on Main Street. In 1988, the Museum offices moved from the gym of the Marsac Building into the upstairs of the historic City Hall building. The 2002 Winter Olympics proved the popularity of heritage tourism and historic destinations, as 25,000 tourists visited the Park City Museum during those 10 days. During strategic planning meetings for the Park City Museum after the Olympics, plans were made for major Museum renovations. A successful fundraising effort raised $8.95 million which led to a two year renovation and expansion.
In October 2009, the Park City Museum opened its doors once again and the Museum continues to receive rave reviews about its first class exhibitions. From its beginnings in 1984 until today, 1.6 million people have visited the Museum. Membership has grown from the original 15 to over 500 active members today. But the work isn’t done at the Park City Museum! We are continually working to create first-class exhibitions, deliver engaging educational programming for diverse audiences, and provide a place the community can call
There are many ways to give to the Museum, large and small, and all make a difference. Perhaps one of the following may be right for you.
For more information please contact Executive Director Sandra Morrison at 435-649-7457 ext 103 or via email at email@example.com.